Pistol Permits are processed for Rensselaer County residents under New York State laws. When you have completed an application and criminal background check, final approval or denial of a permit is the decision of one of our County Court Justices.
Applications can be picked up at the Rensselaer County Clerk's Office.
Applicants must be a legal resident of Rensselaer County and a citizen of the United States. You must be: at least 21 years of age, or honorably discharged from the United States Military or the New York State National Guard if you are under 21 years of age.
Instructions for Pistol License Application
- Original application must be completed in black ink only, in duplicate, and notarized. Do not photocopy. Print the Pistol Permit Application (PDF). Application must be printed two sided (front/back).
- Do not write above your name on the applications. Do not leave any questions unanswered. If not applicable write N/A.
- You will need four character references. All references must live in the Capital District, be at least 21 years of age, not related to you, and known to you for at least five years. References residing outside NYS are not acceptable. They must print their information in the appropriate boxes, clearly print their zip code and sign their names.
- You will be given reference forms, for your references, when you submit your application. They must complete the forms, have their signature notarized, and the forms must be returned to the Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office.
- Two passport quality photos are required. They must have been taken within the past 30 days.
- You must include one photocopy of the following documents: birth certificate, driver's license, social security card and pistol safety course certificate. To sign up for your pre-license safety course, please contact a firearms dealer/gun club near you.
- If you are a veteran, you must attach a photocopy of your armed forces discharge (DD214).
- When steps 1 to 8 are completed, proceed to step 9 and10.
- Applicants residing in a city or town in Rensselaer County, OTHER than East Greenbush, must contact the Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office at 518-266-1986 to make an appointment for submission of your application. The fee is $36, and must be a Postal Money Order payable to the Rensselaer County Sheriff's Office. At the time of your application submission, you will be given instructions on how to obtain your fingerprint appointment.
- If you live in the Town of East Greenbush, call 518-479-2525 for filing fee information; You must submit your completed application to the East Greenbush Police Department.