547 River Street, Troy, New York 12180
The purpose of the SNAP Program is to reduce hunger and malnutrition among the members of low-income households. The authority to operate the SNAP program is based on both federal and state laws and regulations.
When you are applying for SNAP benefits…
- You can file an application the same day you receive it. If you are eligible, benefits will be provided back to the filing date of your application.
- You can apply online at www.mybenefits.ny.gov
- You can file your application before you have an interview.
- Rensselaer County DSS must accept your application if, at a minimum, it contains your name, address (if you have one) and a signature. This information will establish your application filing date.
- However, the application must be completed and we must interview you for us to determine your eligibility.
You may be eligible for expedited SNAP benefits if your household has little or no income or liquid resources, or if your rent and utility expenses are more than your income and liquid resources, or you are a migrant or seasonal farm worker with little or no income or resources when you apply.
A process is in place to ensure that benefits will be issued to all SNAP eligible households who meet the standards for expedited service. The attached application can only be used to apply for SNAP Benefits.
For more information, click on the link below:
Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance-How to Apply for Services