Home Care Services
547 River Street, Troy, New York 12180
The Rensselaer County Department of Social Services offers several programs that are designed to assist individuals of all ages with their activities of daily living and other health related services depending on the individual’s medical needs. The programs/ services that are offered by this department are:
Consumer Directed Personal Assistant Program
What is it?
It is a home care program which permits eligible individuals to select, train, supervise and terminate persons who provide services to them. A personal assistant is an individual who is paid to assist you with your daily living tasks. These tasks may include but are not limited to assisting with dressing, grooming, hygiene, mobility, transfers, toileting and health maintenance as well as light housekeeping tasks.
In order to participate in the patient managed home care program the individual must:
1. Be eligible for or currently receiving long term care and services provided by a certified home health agency, long term home health care program, private duty nursing services program or personal care aide services program.
2. Be Medicaid eligible.
3. Have an expected home care length of stay of at least 180 days.
4. Reside in the district in which the social services contracts with approved consumer directed personal assistant.
5. Be medically stable and self-directing person which means an individual who is able, willing and capable of making choices about his/her clinical care and activities of daily living, understands the impact of the choices and assumes responsibility for the result of the choice; or has a designated guardian or adult willing and able, in an informed and reasonable way to assist in making choices and to carry out the patient’s responsibilities, in accordance with State law.
How to Apply?
Persons interested in participating in the Consumer Directed Personal Assistant Program should contact the Home Care Unit at the Rensselaer County Department of Social Services. The phone number is (518) 833-6181.The office is open Monday-Friday 9:00 am through 4:30 pm.
HOME CARE UNIT (518) 266-7910
To Qualify for Home Care services:
- You must be in receipt of Medicaid or eligible for the Medicaid spousal impoverishment provision. For information on Medicaid contact RCDSS Medicaid unit at (518) 266-7991
- You must have a medical need for the service certified by your physician
- You must be residing in Rensselaer County.
To initiate the process to be assessed for Home Care services:
- A referral needs to be called into the RCDSS Home CARE unit at (518) 266-7910
- At this time we will ask for all personal data, medical condition/needs, physician’s name, address and phone, emergency contacts, other services you might be receiving and what areas you require assistance.
Once the physician approves this referral, a joint home visit will be conducted by a Home Care Caseworker and a Nurse from a Certified Home Health Agency. At this assessing visit, the parties will determine the scope of the individual ‘s needs and set up services accordingly.
For more information on HOME CARE and all of the programs available to Rensselaer County residents, please contact: (518) 266-7910
For information on Managed Medicaid Long Term Care, please contact:
NY Medicaid Choice 1-888-401-6582 for dual (Medicare & Medicaid)eligible to assist with picking a plan, if they require Community Based Services for over 120 days
*NY Medicaid Choice 1-800-505-5678 for Non Dual Eligible to assist with picking a mainstream managed Medicaid Plan.
New York State Partnership for Long-Term Care