Theresa A. Beaudoin , Commissioner

Effective June 9, 2020 a free mobile device application, called NYDocSubmit, will be available for Rensselaer County residents to submit required documents as part of the public assistance application process. NYDocSubmit will allow individuals who have applied for or are receiving benefits to submit documentation to Rensselaer County DSS by taking photos of documents and uploading them to Rensselaer County DSS. The mobile application is available now for download on Google Play or the Apple App Store and beginning June 9, 2020 it can be used to upload documents to Rensselaer County DSS

NYDocSubmit – Quick Reference Card

The Department of Social Services offers a wide range of services in two locations.

Flanigan Square at 547 River Street, Troy provides financial assistance such as Temporary Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid and the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). This building also houses the Adult Protective unit, the Child Support Enforcement and Collection unit, Home Care unit, and the Fraud/Investigative unit.

The Administration Building at 127 Bloomingrove Drive, Troy provides an array of casework services including Child Protective, Foster Care and Adoption services. The Accounting Unit and JD/PINS unit are at this location as well.

Cash benefits, Medical Assistance and SNAP benefits are available to applicants whose income is insufficient to meet their needs.
To make an appointment to apply call (518) 266-7800.
Applicants for Temporary Assistance can submit an application online at

SNAP – Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
Individuals and families not eligible for temporary assistance can apply separately for SNAP. It is not necessary to schedule an appointment. Applications are taken from 9:00 a.m. to  4:30 p.m. The SNAP Benefit Card can be used at all local supermarkets and all stores that accept EBT.
For more information call 266-7800.
Applicants can also be submitted online at

It is also possible to apply for Medical Assistance only. Individuals who have income above the temporary assistance standards may be eligible for Medical Assistance. Medicaid provides financial assistance for medical bills and placement of elderly and disabled in nursing homes.
For an appointment call (518) 266-7970.

Medicaid recipients must join an HMO that the County contracts with instead of obtaining medical services on a fee for service basis under Medicaid. The County currently has contracts with Fidelis, CDPHP, MVP, and United Health Care.
For more information call (518) 266-7982.

Anyone receiving Public Assistance must cooperate with Child Support Enforcement to locate absent parents, establish paternity and support orders. This service is also available to individuals not on Public Assistance regardless of their income level.
For more information call 1-888-208-4485.

Before benefits are issued, suspicious information is investigated. This is called FRONT END DETECTION. It eliminates the need to recoup benefits individuals are not entitled to. There is also a need to investigate fraudulent information pertaining to active cases. When an investigation uncovers proof, legal authorities are notified and appropriate action is taken to reduce the grant or close the case and recover the money.
To report suspected fraud call (518) 266-7942.

Financial assistance is available for the burial of indigent individuals.
For more information call (518) 266-7970.

The Home Energy Assistance Program operates on a seasonal basis from November to April. Households with income within the guidelines can receive assistance with heating fuel. Checks are sent directly to the fuel dealer the recipient chooses. Emergency assistance is available until September 30th of each year for households in danger of utility shut-off.
For more information call (518) 266-7960.

The Department administers the provision of home care programs to allow disabled individuals to remain in their own homes. Home care programs provide personal care aide and other health care services to Medicaid recipients who require less than 120 days of services. Clients receiving the service must have a medical problem/condition documented by a physician, which interferes with the ability to perform daily living activities, i.e. bathing, dressing, and meal preparation. This department provides ongoing Home Care services for all others who require assistance with Homemaking tasks. For more information call Home Care @ (518) 266-7910. For all others call NY Medicaid Choice @ 1-888-401-6582 or 1-800-505-5678

The Project HIRE Unit provides employment services to individuals on assistance. Referrals are made to employers, vocational centers, BOCES and EOC. Caseworkers assess individuals’ needs and make referrals for employment or for training when the individual is not employment ready.
For more information call (518) 266-7840.

Rensselaer County Proposed Bi-Annual Employment Plan Is Available Upon Request To Review

This unit investigates reports of adult abuse or exploitation. Protective services are provided to adults who are at risk of harm and who have no one else to protect or assist them. Financial management and homemaker are also components of the service.
To report individuals in the community who are at risk of harm call (518) 266-7900.

Home studies are conducted on families expressing an interest in adopting. A child is matched with adoptive parents as closely as possible with respect to ethnic and religious background and the ability of the adoptive parents to meet the child’s needs. Services are provided to both the child to be adopted and the prospective adoptive parents.
For more information call 518-833-6000.

Services are provided to children and parents where there is a risk of foster care placement to prevent further abuse or neglect of a child. Day care is provided as part of the service to protect the child at risk and to allow overwhelmed parents respite.
For more information call (518) 833-6000.

Foster care placement occurs when it is determined that a child is at imminent risk of serious harm due to abuse or neglect by a parent or, when the child has been adjudicated by Family Court , a Juvenile Delinquent or a PINS (Person in need of supervision). A child may be placed in a foster home, group home or institution, depending on the child’s needs. While a child is in the temporary care and custody of the Commissioner of Social Services, services are provided to rectify the problems and reunite the family.
For more information call the Foster Care Unit at (518) 833-6000.

Child Protective Caseworkers respond within 24 hours to all reports made to the State Central Register for Abuse and Maltreatment. If the allegations are found to be true, services are provided to the family to begin the healing process and keep the family together. Sometimes it is necessary to remove children from the family when there is imminent risk of serious harm. Cases involving domestic violence, sexual abuse or serious injury to a child are also prosecuted in civil court.
To make a report of suspected abuse or neglect call 1-800-342-3720.

Day care services are provided in centers or informally through a variety of funding sources. Child care is provided to Public Assistance recipients for employment and/or training leading to employment. Transitional child care along with Medicaid is offered for one year to Public Assistance recipients whose cases are closed due to employment. Low Income day care is available to working parents who are not eligible for Public Assistance and whose income is less than 160% of the poverty level. Child care is also provided through this funding to teen parents to allow them to finish high school. Low income day care is limited by available funding. Finally, day care is provided to children who are at risk of foster care placement due to abuse or neglect. For more information call (518) 833-6190.

Medicaid recipients who are unable to get medical appointments on their own can receive transportation services. A physician’s order specifying the mode of transportation is required.
For more information call (518) 459-8747.

General Information:
Hours: 9am – 4:30pm
Phone: (518) 833-6000