Qualifications to Register to Vote
- Be a United States citizen
- Be 18 years old by the date of the election. (You may pre-register at 16 or 17, but you cannot vote until you are 18.)
- Be a resident of Rensselaer County for at least 25 days preceding the election.
- Not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship).
- Not be adjudged mental incompetent by a court.
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
Am I registered to Vote?
Please select the following link to see if you are registered.
(Select Rensselaer in the drop down tab for County.)
How to Register to Vote if you haven’t previously registered?
- You can fill out a NYS Voter Registration form IN PERSON at our office (address below).
- You can CALL the Board of Elections at 518-270-2990 to request a NYS Voter Registration Form.
- You can DOWNLOAD and PRINT OUT a PDF version of the registration form. Please fill out the form, and either deliver in person or mail the completed form to our office at this address:
Rensselaer County Board of Elections
1600 7th Avenue, 1st floor
Troy, NY 12180
English Registration Form: New York State Voter Registration Form (ny.gov)
Spanish Registration Form: Formulario de registro de votantes del estado de Nueva York (ny.gov)
(When downloading, please make sure you print out the ENTIRE page, including the signature line!)
A registration form must be completed to change your name, address, or party affiliation.
· For Registration Form Deadline, please select the link below:
If you are not a Rensselaer County resident, you can find out where to mail your form by calling 1-800-FOR-VOTE (1-800-367-8683). (If you use a TDD, please call 1-800-533-8683.)
YOUR VOTE COUNTS!