The best way to prevent infection is to prevent exposure to the virus that causes COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of any respiratory viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash can and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others and are unable to social distance.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Get a flu shot for yourself and your family members. This will not prevent COVID-19 but it will prevent you from getting flu, keeping you healthy and out of the hospital.
You may additionally visit the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination page to learn more about current vaccine options and resources.