Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI) is an insurance program that provides insurance coverage on the home mortgages of certain severely disabled veterans.
VMLI is only available to veterans with severe service-connected disabilities who:
- Received a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant from VA for assistance in building, remodeling, or purchasing an adapted home
- Have title to the home
- Have a mortgage on the home
Note: Eligible veterans must apply for coverage prior to their 70th birthday.
VMLI will pay up to $90,000 of the outstanding mortgage.
The insurance is payable only to the mortgage lender, not to family members.
VMLI coverage is available on a new mortgage, an existing mortgage, a refinanced mortgage, or a second mortgage.
VMLI premiums are determined by:
- The insurance age of the veteran
- The outstanding balance of the mortgage at the time of application
- The remaining length of the mortgage
You can apply for VMLI by completing VA Form 29-8636, Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance Statement, and submitting it to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office and Insurance Center in Philadelphia. Veterans can contact the Insurance Center for an application or visit the website to obtain an application and learn more information about the VMLI program.