The functions of the Bureau of Human Resources can be divided into four major categories:
- Labor relations
- Workers Compensation administration
The Bureau of Human Resources is charged with oversight and functioning as gatekeeper for personnel management functions for all departments within County government. As such, the Department formulates and administers the County's personnel policies through consultation with each department and negotiation with three employee unions. The goal is to ensure uniformity and consistency in application of all policies and procedures.
Human Resources is also responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Human Resources Management Systems (HRMS) portion of the New World ERP; working in conjunction with the Bureaus of Budget, Finance, and Information Services on major projects as needed. As a centralized personnel agency for all County departments, the Bureau provides a basic orientation to all new county employees, maintains the personnel files of all county employees, as well as information relative to former employees.
In addition, the Bureau:
- Develops and implements employee benefits programs
- Administers OSHA requirements
- Ensures compliance with a variety of federally mandated laws, such as affirmative action and equal opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act, etc.
As the County is self-insured for purposes of Worker Compensation, the Bureau administers the plan in which not only the County, but also other municipal entities within the County all participate. This self-insured pool passes along considerably lowered cost in workers compensation to all participants.
For information on employee benefits, please access the following resources:
- Benetech – Rensco Web Portal For Benefits
- New Health Benefits Advisor Memorandum (PDF)
- Workplace Violence Prevention Policy Statement (PDF)
Collective Bargaining Agreements
- COUNCIL 82, LOCAL 975 Rensselaer County Correction Officers Union (PDF)
- CSEA, Local 1000 AFSCME, AFL-CIO (PDF)
- UPSEU (PDF)
- Rensselaer County Deputy Sheriff's Police Benevolent Association (PDF)