Reporting Abuse

Rensselaer County

Adult Protective Services

This unit investigates reports of adult abuse or exploitation. Protective services are provided to adults who are at risk of harm and who have no one else to protect or assist them. Financial management and homemaker are also components of the service.

To report individuals in the community who are at risk of harm call 518-833-6183.

Child Protective Services

The mission of Child Protective Services (CPS) is to investigate reports of suspected maltreatment, neglect or abuse of children in Rensselaer County, to identify safety and risk elements and to provide interventions to safeguard children in our charge.

Anyone can call the State Central Register at 1-800-342-3720 to make a report concerning abuse or neglect of children. According to Social Services Law 413: Legal obligation to report: a neglected/abused child coming before a person working in their official capacity is a mandated reporter. Mandated reporters include Medical/Dental Personnel, Mental Health Provider, Christian Service Practitioner, School Official, Social Service Worker, Daycare/Residential Worker, Substance Abuse Worker, Peace and Police Officer and District Attorney Personnel

Following the receipt of a report regarding a child in Rensselaer County, the SCR (State Central Register) transmits said report to the local Department of Social Services. The Child Protective Services division commences an investigation to assess the immediate and ongoing safety of children and to provide support and services when necessary.

New York State