- The purpose of the Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team is to uphold and maintain the good order and security of the Rensselaer County Public Safety Building , to prevent attacks and injuries to staff, or other persons, and to prevent escapes. In addition, S.E.R.T. is committed to providing the highest degree of security for the citizens of Rensselaer County, and the continual safety of the inmates, staff, and general public within the confines of the Public Safety Building. The philosophy of the S.E.R.T. team is predicated upon the following underlying assumptions.
- Incarceration is, in and of itself, punishment
- All members will be held continually accountable for their actions
- The team will be compromised of highly trained and motivated members who are capable of responding to the emergencies in a timely manner.
- The team is capable of handling ALL situations which pose a significant threat to the security and safety of the Rensselaer County Public Safety Building, it’s occupants, and the general public.
- The team will establish and maintain an image that will foster positive morale and confidence among the Employees of the Sheriff’s Office.
- The individual members and the S.E.R.T. Unit as a whole are committed to the preservation of the basic human rights and dignity of all citizens, as prescribed by the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of the state of New York, all applicable laws.