Inmate Visitor Information Guide
WHEN ARE THE VISITATION DAYS AND TIMES?
The Rensselaer County Correctional Facility allows visitation seven (7) days a week during the following time periods:
(a) 6:00PM – 7:00PM
(All inmates except those assigned to the Restricted Housing Unit)
(b) 7:45PM – 8:45PM
(All inmates except those assigned to the Restricted Housing Unit)
(c) 9:30PM – 10:30PM
(All Inmates including those assigned to the Restricted Housing Unit)
HOW DO I SCHEDULE A VISIT?
It is not necessary to schedule a visit; the facility honors walk up visits on a “first-come, first-serve” basis provided there is room.
HOW MANY VISITS AM I ALLOWED?
Each inmate is allowed two (2) visits per week. The visitation week runs from Monday thru Sunday. Two (2) visitors are allowed to see the inmate at each visit. (1) one child younger than 4 years of age will not be counted as a visitor if seated on the lap of the Adult during the visit.
WHO CAN VISIT AN INMATE?
Anyone the inmate wishes to see (barring there are no orders of protection). If you are under the age of eighteen (18), you must be accompanied by your parent / legal guardian or provide written and notarized permission from your parent / legal guardian and be accompanied by an adult. THE WRITTEN PERMISSION MUST BE ABLE TO BE VERIFIED BEFORE YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO VISIT.
HOW DO I OBTAIN CONTACT VISITATION PRIVILEGES WITH AN INMATE ?
You must provide the Visitation Control Officer with a government issued photo identification card. The Officer will enter your information into the inmates’ visitor log as a permanent visitation record.
WHAT CAN I BRING TO THE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY ?
Allowable property may be left off for inmates in accordance with the following day and time schedules based upon an alphabetical listing of the inmates last name.The purpose of this restriction is to ensure accountability of the incoming property and to ensure access to those needed items in a timely fashion.
If the 1st Letter of Inmates Last Name begins with A-M property days are Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
If the 1st Letter of Inmates Last Name begins with N-Z property days are Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Times are 8:00AM-3:00PM and 4:00PM-10:00PM
NO PROPERTY TAKEN IN ON SATURDAY
Persons leaving property must show verifiable identification before the items can be left. Each inmate will receive a receipt for all personal property accepted after their admission to the facility.
The following is a list of allowable incoming inmate property:
(5) Five T-shirts (white)
(5) Five pair of underwear (white)
(5) Five pair of socks (white)
(1) One pair of white or black shoes/sneakers – (exchange may be necessary)
(2) Two pair of long john underwear (white) tops and bottoms
(2) Two brassieres no underwire (female inmates)
(1) One sweatshirt (green) no pockets, hood, or logos
* Note: These items may also be purchased in Commissary.
No other color except as stated will be allowed. These items must be marked with the inmates full name. Marking of the items will be done prior to the officer accepting the items. The items will be marked with a laundry or permanent marker in the following manner:
(a) Underwear – On the waistband of the item, left side, front.
(b) T-shirt – Inside bottom of the shirt. Left front. The same applies to brassieres.
(c) Socks – outside. Bottom foot of item.
If an inmate is going on trial or is to appear in front of the Grand Jury, the following items may be left at the facility:
(a) Slacks or Trousers – will be marked on the waistband. Left side, front.
(b) Suit Coat, Dress Shirt, Blouse – will be marked on left front, inside bottom.
(c) Dress – will be marked on left front, inside bottom.
(d) Dress Shoes – will be marked on the inside tongue of the shoes.
(e) Tie and Belt – Marked on inside of the item.
Items will not be accepted for inmates making a court appearance unless it is a trial or grand jury appearance. Inmates making court appearances will be required to wear facility issued clothing.
Money in the form of cash, may be deposited twenty four (24) hours a day into the kiosk located in the lobby. Postal Money Orders may also be mailed into the facility.
NO personal letters, magazines, printed materials or photographs will be accepted at Visitation control.
These materials must be mailed into the facility. The mailing address is as follows:
Inmates Name and Booking Identification Number
Rensselaer County Correctional Facility
4000 Main Street
Troy, New York 12180
CONTRABAND is defined as those article
(a) Whose possession is prohibited under any law applicable to the general public
(b) Which are readily capable of being used to cause death or serious physical injury, including but not limited to handguns, shoulder guns, cartridges, knives, explosives, lighters, matches and dangerous drugs
(c) Which have been introduced into the Correctional Facility with the intent to transfer the items to an inmate without the permission of the Jail Administrator or designee.
(d) Which are possessed and/or made by an inmate without authorization. All items are subject to censorship by the Jail Administrator based upon; legitimate penological interest, clear and present danger, and good correctional practice.
**ANY VISITOR WHO IS CAUGHT WITH DRUGS OR CONTRABAND WILL BE ARRESTED AND PROSECUTED**
WHAT IF I COME TO VISIT AN INMATE WHO HAS JUST ARRIVED?
In Accordance with New York State Commission of Correction Minimum Standard 7008.4 each new Inmate will be afforded the opportunity to receive an initial secured visit within 24 hours of their arrival at facility. The visit will occur in the secured area of the visitation room during normal visitation hours. Inmates will not be allowed contact visitation until they have been medically cleared and classified. The purpose of the visit is to advise family, friends of the situation, arrange bail, arrange counsel or care of any other pertinent matters. The length of the visit shall be at the sole reasonable discretion of Visitation Control Staff so as to ensure the opportunity be afforded to all new arrivals. The same standards of Identification and registration are required to receive an initial visit. The initial visit is not considered or counted against an inmates allowable (2) two scheduled weekly visits.
- All visitors will be required to be screened by electronic screening devices prior to entering the visitation area. Additionally a Trained K-9 And Handling Officer will be used for the purpose of control and contraband detection in the visitation area.
- Their will be no splitting of visits to accommodate additional visitors.
- Once a visitor leaves the visitation area for any reason, (bathroom, phone call etc.) they will not be permitted to re-enter the area.
- The facility reserves the right to refuse to admit any visitor to the facility who is not properly attired. [Refer to item (18) of the Visitation Rules and Regulation] concerning visitor dress code.
- The facility will only accept valid and verifiable emergency phone calls (Such as a medical emergency or death in the family).
- DO NOT call the facility to leave personal messages.
WHAT RULES AND REGULATIONS AM I EXPECTED TO FOLLOW DURING A CONTACT VISIT ?
While in the facility for contact visitation, you are expected to conduct yourself in a manner consistent with reasonable standards of public decency. To assist you, we have attached a list of rules and regulations you are expected to follow while at contact visitation. You must comply with all staff orders and directions while on facility grounds.
VISITATION RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Visitors must be checked in completely (30) thirty minutes prior to their scheduled visit. If the visitor arrives late for a visit they will not be allowed in for that visitation period.
- Visitors will be required to be screened by electronic devices prior to and after visitation. Visitors may be required to consent to a patdown frisk and comply with other staff requests if legitimate suspicion is raised by staff during visitor processing or as a result of other provided information and evidence.
- Visitors will place all personal property, (i.e. money, wallets and purses) in the public lockers located in the Visitation Lobby area.
- Loud talking, excessive emotionalism or any other type of disruptive behavior will not be allowed in the visitation area.
- No photographs will be allowed in the visitation area. Photographs will only be allowed through the mail not passed from visitor to inmate.
- No radios, tape recorders or electronic devices will be allowed into the visitation area.
- No items will be passed between inmates and visitors.
- Visitors and inmates are expected to follow all staff instructions and conduct themselves in a manner consistent with common decency.
- Physical embracing (hugging) is only allowed upon greeting and saying good-bye.
- Hand holding is permissible during visitation. (no petting will be allowed) No other personal contact will be allowed during the visit.
- Inmates and visitors are required to remain seated during visitation. Small children must remain seated and supervised.
- Infants and small children may be held by inmates during visitation. (They must also remain seated and not allowed to wander throughout the visitation room.)
- If you are admitted to a Hospital, visitation dates and times will be the same as the facility visitation. Appointments MUST be made by inmates using normal visitation request procedures.
- In the event an inmate is confined to a Hospital Intensive or Coronary Care Unit the hospitals visitation rules and hours will be observed.
- In the event a female inmate is admitted to the Maternity Unit they will be permitted a one (1) hour daily visit during their hospitalization. Only two (2) persons per visitation period will be allowed.
- Visits to “Terminally Ill” hospitalized inmates will be conducted according to hospital rules.
- Inmates will be required to wear full uniform to visitation. No personal clothing, shower shoes or jail shorts will be worn.
- The dress code for all visitors is that they wear the proper clothing. The following items will not be permitted. Short shorts, mini-skirts, tube tops, tank tops, low cut tops, see-through fabrics, hats or headgear, hooded clothing, coats and jackets, swimwear (bikinis, etc)
- Visitors under (16) sixteen years of age must bring a signed and notarized copy of the facility’s Minor Consent Form. They must also be accompanied by their parent or guardian.
- Visitors between the ages of 16 and 18 must also have a signed and notarized copy of the facilities Minor Consent Form and be accompanied by an adult or a parent/guardian. Written requests for a waiver of this requirement, (example a 17 year old spouse) may be made to the Chief of Corrections. A birth certificate must also be provided for visitors under the age of 18.
- Each visitor who arrives at the facility shall be required to enter in a facility visitors log the following information.
- His/her name
- His/her address
- The date
- The time of entry
- The name of the inmate to be visited
- The time of exit
Visitors suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs shall NOT be admitted into visitation