The Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office operates everyday; 24 hours a day.
- We are a law enforcement agency located in the city of Troy, New York and have been in existence since 1791. Our members serve a population of more than 490,000 citizens spread out over 477 square miles.
- Under the leadership of Sheriff Jack Mahar the County Sheriff’s Office officers and employees are responsible for providing highly technical and specialized services.
- The Administrative Division includes staff that has responsibility and authority to manage positions, assignments, tasks, events, and duties determined by the Sheriff.
The Corrections Bureau is responsible for all the functions related to the daily operations of the county jail.
- The sworn personnel of the Highway/Marine Patrol are responsible for providing assistance to citizen’s calls for service and the enforcement of New York State laws.
- The Civil Enforcement Division is a state mandated service. Its purpose is to serve and execute various legal processes issued by criminal courts of the state and its subdivisions, as well as, the legal community and the general public.