Reporting of suspected or confirmed communicable diseases is mandated under the New York State Sanitary Code (10NYCRR 2.10).
The primary responsibility for reporting rests with the physician; moreover, laboratories (PHL 2102), school nurses (10NYCRR 2.12), day care center directors,nursing homes/hospitals (10NYCRR 405.3d) and state institutions (10NYCRR 2.10a) or other locations providing health services (10NYCRR 2.12) are also required to report the diseases listed below.
Suspected or confirmed communicable diseases should be reported to the Rensselaer County Department of Health within 24 hours
To report suspected or confirmed communicable diseases:
Call in a confidential case report (518) 270-2655
Fax or mail in a confidential case report form
Public Health Updates
- Center for Public Health Preparedness at Albany, SPH
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemioligists
- Infectious Diseases (Wadsworth Center)
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- CDC and Preventions: Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report