Mary Fran Wachunas
Rensselaer County Public Health Director
Keeping our community healthy by providing essential public health services
The promotion of health and prevention of disease, injury, and disability.
April’s topic of the month: Alcohol Awareness
2nd Floor, Ned Pattison
Troy, NY 12180
Hours: Monday-Friday, 9-5
After hours emergency line call: 518-857-4660
Directions and Maps:
Please follow link to MapQuest for driving directions and maps.
- What You Should Know About the Flu
The flu virus is now widespread in almost every state, including New York State. According to the CDC, most experts believe that flu viruses spread mainly by tiny droplets made when people with the flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby. Less often, a person might also get the flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.
Anyone can get the flu (even healthy people). Serious problems related to the flu can happen at any age, but some people are at high risk of developing serious flu-related complications if they get sick. This includes people 65 years and older, people of any age with certain chronic medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), pregnant women, and young children.
To prevent getting the flu, the first and most important step is to get a flu vaccination each year. The CDC also recommends everyday preventive actions (like staying away from people who are sick, covering coughs and sneezes, and frequent hand washing) to help slow the spread of germs that cause respiratory (nose, throat, and lungs) illnesses, like flu.
For more information, visit the New York State Department of Health flu web site.
- New York State Breast Cancer Programs
- Drinking Water Response Activities
- Addressing the Opioid Epidemic in New York State
- Injection Safety
- Smokers’ Quit Line – 1-866-NY-QUITS
- National Prescription Take Back Day – 4/28/18 – Rensselaer County Locations
- Rens. County Wellness Committee
- Wellness Comm. Meeting Calendar
- 2018 Rabies Schedule (Updated 1/5)
- Rens. County Breastfeeding Coalition
- Rens. County Heroin Coalition
- 2018 Narcan Training Schedule
- Narcan Training at St. Marys